I started cloth diapering in 2008, when baby #2 was about a year old and I was pregnant with #3. I found the WAHM (work at home mom) cloth diaper world online and was intrigued. Did a little research on washing and decided to take the plunge! Spent about $250 on custom made diapers for my toddler and soon-to-be-newborn. A few months in I began having problems with stink and leaks. Tried troubleshooting with the mom that made them, but she had closed up shop. So I gave up and threw them all in the trash. That’s right, $250 in the trash!
Fast forward to 2011. Baby #4 was a toddler and I was pregnant with #5. My poor toddler had been suffering a horrendous diaper rash for months. I switched diapers, I switched wipes, I switched soaps, lotions, and tried every diaper cream on the planet. Nothing helped. I again considered cloth diapering, but was obviously a bit hesitant given round one’s outcome. I discovered that *quality* cloth diapers were now available from commercial manufacturers. Found the BumGenius website and researched EVERYTHING I could find, including potential issues like stinky diapers. Took the plunge again and ordered an entire stash for my little guy. Within a week of switching to cloth his rash was gone and I was hooked!
Bought a whole stash for #5 as well, switched to WAHM diapers, and then eventually began sewing my own. I even sold my handmade diapers for a short period of time, too.
Below is a list of local, national and Facebook resources for cloth diapers. Hopefully those will help, but If you ever have any cloth diaper questions, I’d be more than happy to help. Email me anytime at email@example.com.
- Cloth Diaper Sewing Facebook Group is a great resource if you’re interested in sewing some diapers yourself.
- Cloth Diaper Swap II on Facebook is for buying, selling and trading cloth diapers.
- Kelly’s Closet is a great tried and true resource with all the cloth diapering info you could ever need.
- Chic Utah Moms is a local cloth diapering Facebook group.
- Naturally Chic is a local ish retailer (394 W. Main Street, Lehi, Utah). You can also find Naturally Chic Lehi on Facebook by clicking HERE.
- Honey Bump Maternity in Layton, Utah has a small selection of cloth diapers.
- One Lucky Mama in Riverton, Utah has an online store and does consultations too.
- BuyBuyBaby in Sandy has BumGenius Freetimes (AIOS and pockets 4.0s)
- KSL is a great place to find used and new cloth diaper options but be aware of what you are buying.