- Chicken, 2-3 large breasts, frozen
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1 T. Chili powder
- 2 T. canola oil
- 1 onion
- 1 celery stick
- 2 cloves garlic or 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 cans white beans (Northern or Navy), rinsed
- 1 c. black beans, rinsed
- 1 c. corn
- 1 (4.5 oz.) can diced green chilis, HOT
- 1/2 red bell pepper, large
- 3.5 c. chicken broth
- 4 T. sour cream
- 4 T. corn flour (Masa)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 T. chili powder
- 1 T. cumin
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- tortilla chips
- Place 2-3 frozen chicken breasts in the Crock Pot with 1 c. chicken broth and 1 T. chili powder. Cook on low for 6 hours then shred or cut into pieces.
- Toss onion, celery and garlic in the food processor and process until finely chopped.
- In a large pot, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery and garlic and heat for several minutes.
- Put green chilis and bell pepper in the food processor and process until finely diced.
- Add green chili and bell pepper mix, white beans, black beans, corn, and chicken broth to the pot then stir and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add sour cream, corn flour, salt, chili powder, cumin, lemon juice and chicken. Heat for 5 more minutes then add to Crock Pot and continue to cook on LOW for 2 hours.
This recipe is adapted from feeling foodish’s chicken tortilla soup. Also, this soup does not freeze well, it gets gritty when defrosted. Feeling foodish recommends leaving out corn and flour if you freeze it and add it when rewarmed.